We want to provide you with all the things you need to live a life with as little plastic as possible.
Plastic-Free Packaging — The story of why plastic is bad for the environment, for us as individuals, and for every other living thing on this planet is a long one involving the harmful effects of fracking, pollution resulting from the manufacturing process, the toxic chemicals we interact with when we use it, and its immensely wasteful, ineffective, and ultimately destructive disposal. Can you tell we’re fired up about this? For more details, check out our blog post on “7 Reasons to (Seriously) Consider A Low Waste Lifestyle.”
Locally Manufactured — Our goal is to source at least 75% of our products from the West Coast and 90% from the USA to minimize carbon emissions, reduce reliance on fossil fuels, and support our local economies.
Clean, Non-toxic Ingredients — We want you to be able to use all of the products we carry without having to worry whether or not any of the ingredients are safe for you. We strive to use organic, botanically based, effective products with no harmful or unsustainable ingredients like petrolatum, paraffin, parabens, phthalates, BHA, BHT, silicones, EDTA, formaldehyde, or talc. For Palm Oil, we only carry products with sustainably sourced palm oil that is RSPO or GreenPalm certified.
Transparency — We want you to know everything there is to know about the products you’re buying, including the ingredients and vendors, so you can be sure you’re making a purchase that fits your needs and values.
Low Waste Above All Else — Our goal is to avoid selling you something you don’t need at the expense of our environment. We believe doing the right thing is good business.
Positivity for All — Eco-guilt is real and easy to feel. We are not asking for perfection. We know how difficult it is in our modern world to make sure every single thing we’re doing is the most ethical or sustainable option. We struggle with it too! We are all about encouraging and supporting you whether you remembered to ask for no straw or not because guilt is not sustainable!
How We Prioritize Packaging:
- No Packaging — nothing to throw away.
- Recycled Paper/Cardboard — No raw materials required, recyclable and biodegradable.
- Recycled Aluminum — No raw materials used, infinitely recyclable (and valuable to recyclers), and uses less carbon emissions than glass to ship to you.
- Recycled Glass — No raw materials used, infinitely recyclable, easy to reuse.
- Bamboo — Sustainable material because it grows really quickly, is self-regenerating, and requires little to no additional resources like fertilizer. Also produces more oxygen and absorbs more carbon dioxide than other trees.
- Virgin Aluminum — Still requires some raw material extraction, but is infinitely recyclable and valuable to recyclers. Also easy to reuse.
- Virgin Glass — Infinitely recyclable and easy to reuse.
- FSC Certified Paper/Cardboard — Responsibly farmed trees, recyclable and biodegradable.
- Bio-based Plastic — Uses less harmful raw ingredients than plastic, but can’t be recycled and can only be composted with high heat in industrial facilities. Contaminates recycling if mixed in.
- Recycled Plastic — Uses no raw materials, promotes recycling of plastic, but is limited in recyclability.
- Virgin plastic — We’d really only consider this for small elements like bottle caps or spray nozzles for containers we’d hope you’d reuse.
See our post on A Packaging Hierarchy: For When Zero’s Not an Option for more info on this topic.